Lighting Artist - Unannounced Dreamworks TV Series
Mainframe Studios is on the lookout for an experienced Lighting Artist to join us on an exciting new Dreamworks TV Series! Under the guidance of the Lighting Supervisor, the Leads and/or the Senior Lighting Artist, on a CG animated film, the Lighting Artist is tasked with lighting shots from start to finish as they evolve from preliminary lighting through final renders.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Lighting Supervisor and/or Leads, the Lighting Artist lights shots/sequences based on the rigs created by the Principal, Lead or Supervisor.
- Ability to work within the lighting and rendering pipeline and capable of troubleshooting common rendering and lighting technical issues.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback form the Supervisor or Lead in a timely and quantitatively acceptable way.
- Collaborates with Surfacing Team in achieving the desired look and establishing the production design complexity and lighting behavioural consistency as it pertains to characters, props and environments.
- Collaborates with Effects Artists to test efficacy of the special effects, modifying lighting as necessary.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Ability to hone in on crafting a variety of lighting styles as necessitated by shot/sequences in a given project. Experience in photography is an asset.
- Strong understanding of principles of lighting (such as choice of light, placement of the light source, its direction and how to create the desired effect such as contrast and shadows). Knowledge of compositing a plus.
- Ability to apply knowledge of digital 3D animation, special effects and lighting. A demonstrated understanding of compositing principles and compositing software such as Nuke.
- Knowledge of Maya and rendering software such as Redshift and/or Renderman.
- Experience in Katana is an asset.
- Ability to script is an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting, shading and compositing.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.