Mainframe Studios is on the lookout for an experienced Project Accountant to join our Finance team! Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Project Accountant’s primary responsibilities are the accounting, management and administration of production and film tax credit estimates, the preparation of tax returns for the production companies, as well as the tracking of employee tax credit eligibility.
The position is also responsible for assisting with the preparation of project cost reports and forecasting revised estimates of final production costs.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist with the preparation of pro-forma financial statements for production companies
- Prepare corporate tax returns for production companies.
- Prepares appropriate film tax credit estimates for review.
- Track employee tax credit eligibility by collecting residency documents for all employees and maintaining tax residency documentation database.
- Assist with the preparation of the monthly cost reports for projects by tracking cost estimates and ensure adjustments are made in accordance with production changes.
- Prepare and submit applications for CAVCO and BC Film Certificates and respond to any outstanding questions or comments from CAVCO and Creative BC.
- Responsible for liaising with CRA auditors and preparation of required documentation for tax credit audits.
- Maintain and update weekly production facility schedules to track employee movement between different projects.
- Provides support to the Director, Finance on special projects as assigned, including accounting/taxation/budgeting.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, other staff members, partners and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- University or accredited post-secondary degree with a focus on accounting
- Professional accounting designation or equivalent work experience, and/or working towards an accounting degree or diploma
- 2-3 years of production accounting experience and/or relevant industry experience
- Understanding of the CAVCO and FIBC Tax Credits are considered an asset
- Experience with Taxprep and/or corporate tax returns are considered an asset
- Strong communication, organization, and interpersonal skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, VLOOKUP, excel etc…);
- Efficient and detail oriented;
- Ability to deliver work to deadlines and meet set performance objectives;
- Develops new initiatives and workflows to improve processes; and
- Has a solid work ethic and positive attitude.