Mainframe Studios is currently on the lookout for an experienced Lighting TD! The Lighting Technical Director is responsible for providing technical support for the Lighting department and helping to address shader, rendering and lighting workflow requirements in cooperation with the Lighting Supervisor and CG Supervisor.
Responsibilities and Duties
- The Lighting Technical Director works collaboratively with the CG Supervisor, Lighting Supervisor and production artists to develop and maintain leading-edge proprietary tools/shaders/plugins/scripts used in lighting and shading.
- Develops an expertise with production shaders in order to assist Lighting, Effects and Surfacing Artists in tuning them for maximum rendering efficiency without sacrificing final look of the film. Helps to debug rendering issues in cooperation with other Lighting Technical Directors.
- Provides training/tutorials to production staff.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Supervisor or Lead in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Delivers assignments per project's schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe: that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Provides additional technical support as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Advanced degree in Computing Science, Mathematics, Physics or related disciplines.
- 3+ years production experience.
- Good artistic skills; demonstrable ability to make creative and aesthetic judgment calls.
- Advanced knowledge of digital 3D animation, lighting and special effects. Thorough knowledge of UNIX/Linux, procedural and object-oriented programming languages, shader/plugin writing as well as Shell/Perl/Python scripting. Thorough proficiency in Maya and Mental Ray.
- Advanced C++ knowledge is an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting and shading.
- Evaluates and recommends relevant external shaders/plugins/scripts as needed.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong team player.
- Ability to deliver renders per agreed upon specs and schedule.