Network and Storage System Administrator
Mainframe Studios is on the look out for a Network and Storage System Administrator to join the team! Reporting to the VP, Information Technology & Pipeline, the Network and Storage System Administrator will be responsible for the implementation, maintenance and performance of NAS Storage, Networking, Render farms, Linux servers and desktops.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure enterprise scalability and performance for storage and backup environments through proactive capacity planning, performance control and configuration adjustment;
- Optimize data backup and storage systems;
- Implement security policies and procedures for storing and safeguarding data;
- Assists in the development and implementation of disaster recovery procedures, service outage workarounds and system safeguards.
- Participate in the assessment of new equipment, Installation and maintenance of data storage and backup hardware and software;
- Maintain documentation of configuration, operation and troubleshooting procedures, and service records for data storage and backup hardware and software;
- Respond to user requests and service requests
- Works with Desktop Support personnel to maintain and support production users, systems and servers.
- Works closely with the Senior Systems Administrator to determine goals, objectives, initiatives and directions for the improvement of IT corporate and accounting systems and services.
- Fulfills department team requirements: participating in regular and special meetings, filling out time sheets, occasional working after-hours and carrying a cellular phone.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, other staff members, partners and clients.
- Additional duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- Successful completion of a recognized public or private course in Information Technology, MIS or Network Services and/or
- 5+ years working as system administer and server support in a mid to large company (60+ users).
- Working knowledge of Linux services, VLAN networking and storage protocols
- Experience of Isilon, Netapp, Netbackup and Veeam will be considered an asset
- Experience with data management, backup and archival processes, and system performance monitoring and tuning.
- Significant experience administering networked, multi-platform environments with a focus on Linux (Red Hat Linux experience preferred). Familiarity with Windows and Mac also required.
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language (Python and Bash is considered an asset)
- Good knowledge of Linux
- Good knowledge in VMware and vSAN (an asset)
- Real work experience building and deploying servers and workstations in a corporate environment.
- Experience building, supporting and administering a MySQL database server. (an asset)
- Demonstrated knowledge of TCP/IP, VLANs and networking fundamentals.
- Experience with Configuration Management (puppet, chef, etc.) (an asset)
- Some experience with Graphics and Animation applications (Maya, Nuke, Photoshop, etc.) an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal English-language skills. Ability to communicate and/or demonstrate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Excellent customer service skills and a high degree of professionalism.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Self-motivated and pro-active. Ability to work under pressure.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner and accepts accountability for own actions.
- Demonstrate understanding of business fundamentals.