Surfacing Artist (Archive)
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We are looking for talented Surfacing Artists on a short-term role in the studio. Under the guidance of the Supervisor and Leads, the Surfacing Artist creates and applies surface textures for characters, props, and environments based on the determined look and visual style of the project.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Surfacing Supervisor and the Leads, the Surfacing Artist Designs, creates and implements textures by using digital painting, image mapping or photographic techniques based on the determined look of a show.
- Collaborates with the lighting and shading teams to ensure techniques are being achieved and processes are followed.
- Collaborates with modeling, lighting, rigging and effects teams to troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Quality checks that all elements are final, approved and ready for the lighting department.
- Collaborates with compositing artists in order to manage render time required and final delivery.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from Director(s), leads and or supervisors in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe: that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Additional duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Experience in UV mapping and texture layout using Maya.
- Proficiency using a variety of rendering tools including Redshift, Arnold, Renderman, Maya, Mudbox and Substance Painter is required.
- Advanced painting skills with a strong understanding of color theory and application.
- Eye for detail and good design sense is essential.
- Experience in advanced surfacing techniques such as material development and subsurface scattering.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate ideas clearly. Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and proactive. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners.