Animation Supervisor - Barbie
We are looking for an Animation Supervisor to join our Barbie production! Under the guidance of the Director, on a CG animated film, the Animation Supervisor provides creative mentorship to the animation team by example.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Facilitates efforts to define and set the creative standards for the project.
- Collaborates with Animation Director, Leads and Principals to define and implement techniques and processes that help realize and enhance the performance of characters.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence within the parameters of the production plan.
- Oversees character consistency throughout film, ensuring that key character and story moments are supported through performance.
- Evaluates and casts animators to characters/sequences/shots that best suit to their skill set.
- Collaborates with creative and technical staff to ensure animation feasibility within the confines of schedule and budget.
- Seeks creative options to maximize re-use when applicable.
- Collaborates with Producer and HR on managing performance. Responsible for completing artists’ performance reviews.
- Attends meetings and coordinates efforts with other production staff and supervisors to facilitate optimal production flow.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and support to the team.
- Provides coaching, mentoring and training as necessary.
- Partners with production management to establish and manage the department workflow in order to facilitate high quality animation and consistent delivery of weekly quotas.
- Ensures that the animators are achieving balance, composition and timing requirements in a way that enhances story and character performance.
- Guides animation team to creatively enhance material in order to achieve set standards of performance and complexity.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Director in a timely manner and of highest quality.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
- 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Highly skilled in traditional animation, stop motion or claymation.
- Expertise in principles of animation (i.e. squash and stretch, overlapping action, weighting and timing).
- Superior knowledge anatomy, perspective and composition.
- Expertise in acting skills that in turn set the standards for the project's character performance.
- Advanced knowledge of modeling, character rigging and facial animation.
- Superior knowledge of software is required. Advanced knowledge of Maya animation tools.
- Excellent storytelling skills along with expertise on how to enrich acting performance.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly both verbally and visually; excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and deliver high quality animation.
- Ability to liaison with production management to define and articulate production requirements; Ability to predict potential problems and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Adaptable and able to change course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solutions-oriented, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work well under pressure. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and delegate. Thorough knowledge of the production process and pipeline
- Exceptional problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Actively improves skill set to remain at cutting edge of industry trends.
- Ability to oversee and deliver the highest quality animation feasible within the production parameters and consistently meet departmental production quota requirements.