Animation Pipeline TD
Company Name: Mainframe Studios | A Division of WOW! Unlimited Media
Job Title: Animation Pipeline TD
Wage Range: $36.05 - $45.67 / hourly
Location of Work: Vancouver, BC
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Pipeline Supervisor and the Studio Rigging Supervisor, the Animation Pipeline TD supports and enhances the infrastructure that facilitates a production’s processes and workflow.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the guidance of the Pipeline Supervisor and the Studio Rigging Supervisor, the Animation Pipeline TD devises and innovates methods of working through the development and maintenance of leading-edge proprietary tools, plug-ins and scripts.
- Assists in the development of the studio’s pipelines.
- Creates scripts allowing for automation of specific tasks.
- Maintains accurate documentation for all coding development and follows studio protocol.
- Creates and maintains technical effects/shots as required.
- Provides additional technical support and training to production teams as needed.
- Crafts innovative work flow tools to facilitate and expedite production.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Studio Rigging Supervisor, Show CG Supervisor and VP, Information Technology & Pipeline in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Interacts with IT staff with respect to operating, file and network systems issues.
- Attends regular production and departmental meetings.
- Maintains contacts with academia/industry to keep current on new research and competitor developments. Reads relevant journal/conference/technical articles.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe: that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, other staff members, partners and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Solid knowledge of CG Animation and/or Visual Effects.
- Demonstrable production knowledge of Python is required, C/C++ is an asset.
- Working knowledge of high-end 3D software packages such as Maya, including its API and scripting is required.
- Demonstrable knowledge of UNIX/Linux, procedural and object-oriented programming languages is required.
- Previous production experience with geometry and animation caching, including Maya API and/or libraries like Alembic is required.
- Experience with character rigging and/or animation is an asset.
- Production experience with revisions control systems such as Subversion, git, or Perforce is required.
- Previous production experience with Qt is a definite asset.
- Working knowledge of Shotgun project management system, including its API is an asset.
- Experience with MySQL and/or Postgres Databases is considered an asset. As is experience with UNIX Shell scripting.
- Acquires and maintains up-to-date knowledge in the relevant fields.
- Ability to communicate and/or demonstrate ideas clearly and concisely. Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from Pipeline Supervisor.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to deliver assignments on time and meet set objectives.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.