Storyboard Director - Guava Juice (2D)
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Collaborating with the Director and Show Runners on the creative objective of the Series, the Storyboard Director is responsible for leading and mentoring the team of story artists by translating the script into a visual medium to achieve the creative excellence established.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Leads the storyboarding process and manages the team of artists who are responsible for setting up the project's creative foundation.
- Collaborates with the Show Runners and Director to plus the script.
- Creates and assigns Beat Boards (7-10 Sequences Staged in advance to provide to the Storyboard Artists)
- Assigns storyboard sequences and casts storyboard artists based on their strengths and level of expertise. Provides specific instructions for the artists to follow and reviews/ comments on rough boards.
- Responsible for overseeing shot and sequence continuity.
- Contributes story ideas, using staging, shot composition, screen direction and cutting for effective storytelling.
- Collaborates with the Director and the Editor to ensure that the storyboard panels read clearly, are well-paced, and engender the appropriate emotional beats.
- Collaborates with the Art Director and management team to ensure all necessary designs (Funpack and cleans) are created. Shares storytelling objectives in order to determine how to best establish locations.
- Reviews storyboard sequences with the goal of optimal entertainment and with a critical eye towards effective and efficient storytelling which adheres to the production's budget and timeline.
- Generates artwork ranging from Beat Boards, thumbnails and digitally enhanced final storyboard panels.
- As a veteran storyteller, functions as both a guide and a source of inspiration, creating a nurturing environment where artists feel confident sharing ideas, developing concepts and providing constructive feedback.
- Capable of drawing out the best from the storyboarding team, he/she encourages them to push the creative boundaries
- Collaborates with Producer and HR on managing performance.
- Collaborates with the Production Management team to prioritize work on sequences pending production schedule, fulfilling production schedule requirements on a weekly basis. Liaises with Editorial, Design, Layout, and Animation Department as needed.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Show Runners and Director in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is required.
- 6-10 years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Worked on at least 2-3 high-end, television or feature quality productions. Supervisor/Director experience is required.
- Excellent drawing skills with the ability to capture character action, emotion and attitude through storyboard panels.
- Outstanding ability to analyze story structure, track and implement character development and arc.
- Superior knowledge of film grammar, shot composition and cinematographic tools and their use for optimal storytelling.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of styles ranging from cartoony to realistic.
- Advanced knowledge of digital storyboarding tools.
- Exceptional ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, both verbally and visually.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients.
- Excellent leadership skills, inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and excel in storytelling skills.
- Ability to liaise with production management to define and articulate production requirements.
- Highly motivated, pro-active, solutions-oriented, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work well under pressure. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Exceptional problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively and quickly assimilate new information and adapt as needed.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.