Layout Lead - 3D
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Layout Supervisor, the Lead Layout Artist is responsible for leading the team that makes sure all elements needed in a shot are fully prepped and ready for animation.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides leadership to the team whose job it is to review scene folders making sure all necessary assets are ready for integration into the shot and for swapping out proxy models for final low resolution animation ready models.
- Checks and references elements to make sure proper versions are used.
- Applies motion capture data to character/creature models, if applicable.
- Oversees shot content accuracy in relation to timing and continuity.
- Provides feedback and input for performance management and artist’s reviews.
- Ability to prioritize artwork deliverables with the goal to facilitate optimal work flow in the production pipeline as it pertains to animation production.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Motivates, mentors, and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Collaborates with Shot Setup Supervisor to ensure technical parameters for accuracy such as camera angles, focal lengths and composition are met.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from the Director in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Responsible for leading the team in creatively plusing the material when applicable and achieving the set standards of complexity.
- Collaborates with Shot Setup Supervisor to ensure all elements are included and set-up as required.
- (repeated as listed above)Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe: that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Additional duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
- 5+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Excellent knowledge of camera composition and good sense of aesthetics.
- Advanced level proficiency in using Maya is required.
- Ability to liaise with production staff and artists and clearly communicate production process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations. Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best. Ability to predict potential problems and trouble shoot as necessary.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients as required.
- Ability to inspire, mentor and support crew. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Collaborates with Dept. Supervisor and production management team to organize workflow and completion.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs.
- Highly motivated, pro-active, solution-minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and delegate.
- Outstanding problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver assignments on time and meet or exceed performance objectives within the production budget and scheduled parameters.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.