Senior Animator - 2D
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Supervisor, Leads and/or Animation Director, on a 2D Animated series, the Senior Animator creates animation that supports the overall creative vision for the story.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Follows the established style of performance for the project and mentors as necessary.
- Collaborates with the Lead and/or Animation Director to create and determine unique traits for characters and or objects to be animated.
- Mentors and trains the artist to consistently strive towards excellence as necessary.
- Seeks creative options to maximize re-use when applicable.
- Provides feedback and support to the team as necessary.
- Provides mentoring and training as necessary.
- Delivers assignments per project schedules and set quotas.
- Ensures balance, composition and timing requirements are implemented in a way that supports story and character performance.
- Creatively enhances material in order to achieve set standards of performance and complexity.
- Interpret and implement notes and feedback from Director (s), Supervisor or Leads in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 3-5+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Background in classical animation
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles of animation.
- In-depth knowledge of anatomy, perspective and composition.
- Strong abilities to use acting skills that in turn can articulate ideas and traits of characters.
- High level of proficiency animating in Harmony.
- In-depth knowledge of software. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base and keep abreast of latest hardware and software.
- In-depth aesthetic skills including staging and timing.
- Ability to communicate and/or demonstrate ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and visually.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Ability to mentor. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Self-motivated and pro-active. Ability to work under pressure. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to complete work with minimal supervision.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to fulfill performance expectations with minimal iterations and deliver work on time per production quota requirements.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.