FX Supervisor - 2D
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Following the Director the FX Supervisor facilitates the establishing of the look of the project and its FX design development, application and choice of where stock FX can best be utilized.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Create complex FX using Harmony on various shot sequences.
- Ability to prioritize FX assignments with the goal to facilitate optimal work flow in the production pipeline as it pertains to shot production.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Partners with the production team in tracking and ensuring the on-time completion of shot assignments.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is required.
- 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Worked on at least 2-3 high quality animated series.
- Lead or Supervisor experience is preferred.
- Expertise in developing FX designs/techniques per project’s art direction requirements. Superior artist vision, sense of design and composition.
- Highly experienced in ToonBoom Harmony creating FX
- Ability to liaise with artists, crew/technical staff and clearly communicate production process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations. Excellent inter-personal skills. Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives.
- Excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best. Ability to predict potential problems and trouble shoot as necessary.
- Proven abilities to oversee FX Department and deliver all shots per project specs.
- Adaptable to change, can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solution minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multitask and delegate.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to prioritize duties in order to complete both personal assignments and oversee team output requirements.
- Responsible for managing the FX Department while meeting quota expectations per project’s requirements.
- Encourages open communication between the team and other departments.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.