3D Foliage Artist - ON
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
On a CG animated TV series, working with the Art Director, Director and Modeling Supervisor/team, the Foliage Artist is responsible for creating and/or modifying foliage, rocks and natural like assets and distributing them through out the sets in the show.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Collaborating with the art team and acting positively on Art Direction and feedback, to complete the work to a high quality and required art style.
- Interpreting 2D concept art and reference into accurate 3D models that capture the spirit of the concept as well as the technical dimensions.
- Significant experience and techniques in the creation of trees, plants, shrubs, and vines using cards/flats.
- Experience working with SpeedTree (or similar software).
- Experience working with xGen.
- Understanding and experience with Mash and set dressing tool base software.
- Collaborates with lighters and compositors to make sure the final look is achieved.
- Collaborates with animation to ensure all elements are included and set-up as required.
- Ability to prioritize the completion of shots with the goal to facilitate optimal workflow in the production pipeline.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from (based on the production structure) the Director, Producer, Art Director/Production Designer, Visual Effects Supervisor in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Supervises completion of all set dressing assignments per production schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Additional duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent is required.
- 3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Must demonstrate an strong knowledge of staging and composition.
- High level proficiency using Maya is required.
- SpeedTree modelling skills (or similar software) is required.
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting and colour.
- Familiarity with Substance Painter and Photoshop texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Ability to liaise with production staff and artists and clearly communicate production process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Adaptable to change, they can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, proactive, solution-minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and delegate.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Responsible for managing the Department's output and meeting quota expectation per project's requirements.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.