FX Supervisor (GENERAL)
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We are looking for a talented FX Supervisor to join our team on an exciting new series! Following the Director and CG Supervisor’s guidance, on a CG animated project, the FX Supervisor facilitates the establishing of the look of the project and its FX design development, application and choice of where stock FX can best be utilized.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversees the development of FX tools and rigs to be used by the FX department.
- Oversees the creation of the project’s FX style/technique. He/she works closely with other departments such as the Lighting Department in order to ensure the behavioural consistency of FX in relation to character, props and environment set ups regardless of the complexity of the shot.
- Collaborates with the creative leads and CG Supervisor to ensure all FX, lighting and rendering requirements are successfully and efficiently met within the confines of the project’s timeline and fiscal parameters.
- Provides support and documentation for tools created.
- Ability to prioritize FX assignments with the goal to facilitate optimal work flow in the production pipeline as it pertains to shot production.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Partners with the production team in tracking and ensuring the on-time completion of shot assignments.
- Collaborates with Lighting and Compositing Supervisor to test efficacy of the special effects, modifying FX as necessary.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is required.
- 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Worked on at least 2-3 high quality animated series. Lead or Supervisor experience is preferred.
- Expertise in developing FX designs/techniques per project’s art direction requirements. Superior artist vision, sense of design and composition. Experience writing scripts and/or programming is an asset.
- Superior level understanding of 3D animation, texturing, modeling, lighting and compositing.
- Superior level of proficiency in using Maya and Nuke for particle simulations, expressions, soft body, rigid body & cloth dynamics.
- Experience with Houdini, Real Flow and Golaem is an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting, shading and compositing.
- Evaluates and recommends relevant software programs.
- Ability to liaise with artists, crew/technical staff and clearly communicate production process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations. Excellent inter-personal skills. Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives.
- Excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best. Ability to predict potential problems and trouble shoot as necessary.
- Proven abilities to oversee FX Department and deliver all shots per project specs.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solution minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multitask and delegate.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to prioritize duties in order to complete both personal assignments and oversee team output requirements.
- Responsible for managing the FX Department while meeting quota expectations per project’s requirements.
- Encourages open communication between the team and other departments.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners.