People & Culture Generalist
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Reporting to the VP, People & Culture; the People & Culture Generalist will be responsible for the maintenance and further development of ongoing tasks and processes within the People & Culture Department. Additionally, they will provide support to the VP, People & Culture in various ad hoc tasks. The People & Culture Generalist is someone with strong problem solving, organizational, and communication skills; with a deep understanding of employment standards within BC and Canada.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the VP, People & Culture in all facets of HR.
- Collaborate for fellow People & Culture team members, such as the People & Culture Manager, and the People & Culture Coordinator.
- Works closely with the People & Culture team to maintain and implement a number of initiatives and processes; coordinate tasks and project plans.
- Complete final steps of BambooHR implementation, and conduct roll out.
- Maintain employee records, generate reports, and disseminate required information to specific parties, ensuring discretion and confidentiality.
- Manage the accurate tracking for Temporary Foreign Workers (TFWs) employed at Mainframe.
- Coordinate with an external immigration team and government as needed, and support wherever necessary the administration of new work permit applications, renewals, LMIAs, and assists TFWs with processes as required.
- Stays current on changes to Canadian TFW and immigration programs.
- Communicates and mobilizes People & Culture initiatives within the studio.
- Coordinates with Payroll to ensure that all employee related matters are properly communicated and that the appropriate paperwork is generated.
- Participates in the studio’s “Culture Club”.
- Oversee the administrative functions, including but not limited to: employment agreements, new hire and termination documentation, contract extensions, promotions and salary progressions.
- Work directly with Artist Management, the main point of contact for employee relations specific to production roles.
- Provide support to the Artist Management and Talent Acquisition team members by being the go-to person for Employment Standards and best-practices.
- Oversee the administration of all group benefit programs including new employee enrolment, terminations and changes; responsible for ensuring accuracy of enrolment and billing.
- Provides counsel and guidance to employees on benefit programs
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 3 years HR experience in a similar role, preferably in the Animation/Games/VFX or Tech industries.
- Deep understanding of labour and employment legislation including Employment Standards Act, the Human Rights Act, and Worker’s Compensation Act.
- Experience with Temporary Foreign Worker employees.
- CHRP designation/CHRP candidate is an asset.
- Experience with US Employment Laws and best-practices considered an asset.
- Excellent written, customer service, and interpersonal skills; strong knowledge of people management, coaching, and leadership skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and highly adaptable to change.
- Highly trustworthy and tactful with confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to anticipate and deal with problems and issues in a proactive manner, seizing opportunities that arise and going beyond what is expected.
- Practices attentive and active listening and is not afraid to ask questions.
- Highly proficient in MS Office and Google Suite.
- Experience with the use of HR software.
- Shares information and ideas with others. Incorporates feedback and direction received from others.
- Highly motivated, proactive, solid work ethic and positive attitude, flexible and calm demeanour.
- Accepts accountability for own actions.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.