2D Background Supervisor
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
The Background Supervisor ensures the established look and style of the series is executed through the designs for 2D backgrounds. This hands-on role is responsible to be able to generate designs from script. May participate in development of style guide and marketing materials.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the guidance of the Art Director, the Background Supervisor designs, creates and oversees digital painted 2D backgrounds in the style set forth by the Director.
- Able to generate designs from script and designate Key BG setups that will need to be established
- Collaborates with other department Supervisors to ensure all artwork consistently meets the project’s creative parameters and complexity level while adhering to its schedule and budget.
- In collaboration with the Art Director, responsible for maintaining the project’s stylistic, color, texture and lighting consistency.
- Assigns and oversees Background Artists to ensure creative quality is met
- Reviews Background Designs providing feedback and guidance as required
- Meet project quotas, deadlines, milestones as set by project leads, and the production department
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Production Executives, Director, and Producer in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Partners with production team to prioritize completion of artwork pending production requirements.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Highly imaginative, thinks out of the box.
- Expertise in design, color and application.
- Extensive knowledge of Photoshop and 2D animation principles.
- Knowledge of Toonboom Harmony is an asset
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi task and delegate.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs.
- Highly motivated, pro-active, solution-minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.