3D CG Supervisor - ON
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
The CG Supervisor evaluates the technical requirements of a project in terms of the hardware/software pipeline identifying processes and procedures that improve and facilitate the end-to-end workflow. They are responsible for developing the pipeline in accordance with the project’s creative goals and budgetary parameters.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the guidance of the Director and Art Director (pending production set up it may also include Production Designer and/or Visual Effects), the CG Supervisor is responsible for setting up a flexible and durable CG pipeline which can involve the creation of proprietary tools.
- Facilitates technical aspects of animation production, including rigging, animation, lighting and FX.
- Technically interprets the Director’s vision to the team.
- Advises and supports the Director to ensure that the highest quality of animation is being achieved while adhering to the budget and schedule.
- Works closely with the production management team to ensure all pipeline requirements are working efficiently in order to facilitate the artists’ and TDs’ needs and enable them to fulfill their quotas.
- Collaborates with other Department Supervisors to facilitate and ensure that the various departmental needs are met in terms of technical, artistic, workflow, etc.
- Oversees the daily activities of Technical Directors on the production and casts them based on their strengths and expertise.
- Helps determine and schedules resource requirements with members of Production, Technical and Software departments in order to facilitate workflow efficiency.
- Along with a technical ability, they also have a strong aesthetic sense.
- Provides additional technical support and training to production teams as needed.
- Supervises the technical team leads, providing clear direction and leadership.
- Evaluates and recommends relevant external shaders/plugins/scripts.
- Attends regular production and department meetings. Attends shot review sessions as needed.
- Communicates with key stakeholders and team members any relevant information that assists in providing a clear strategy moving forward or helps with decision making.
- Interacts with commercial vendors with respect to technical issues affecting proprietary tools, etc.
- Maintains contacts with academia/industry to keep current on new research and industry trends.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Additional duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in fine arts, computer science or equivalent experience required.
- Advanced degree in mathematics, physics or related disciplines is an asset.
- 6+ years of production experience, with prior experience managing and supervising a large group is required.
- Prior experience as a CG Supervisor is an asset.
- Expertise in Maya, Arnold, Katana and CG production methodology.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of colour theory and lighting techniques.
- Ability to communicate creative and technical concerns and ideas to the Producer and/or the client.
- Outstanding artistic skills; demonstrable ability to make creative and aesthetic judgment calls.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, proactive, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to deliver assignments on time and meet set performance objectives.
- Provides regular, constructive feedback to the team.
- Encourages open communication between the team and other departments.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.