3D Matte Painter - ON
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Working with the Art Director, Modeling Supervisor, Lighting Supervisor and Production Designer, create 2D background mattes or projection artwork for geometry / paintings / plates for a 3D animated production.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To create the 2D painted backgrounds required to complete any 3D environments, sets or scenes on the animated production, while working with the design and modeling departments.
- To troubleshoot and use talents to create visually stunning backgrounds which match and marry the animated production’s style and 3D requirements, using direction giving by the Art Director and Production Designer.
- Introduce innovative ideas through their work creating matte paintings for the production, which work with the animated production’s goals, and in 3D animation.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Strong skills in painting, drawing, composition, color matching.
- Ability to create matte paintings stylistically and / or photo realistically using 2D and 3D applications.
- Basic computer literacy, extensive skills in Photoshop/ After Effects.
- Knowledge of Soft Image 3D/XSI, Maya, Unix platforms.
- Ability to integrate illustration with existing 3D environments.
- Strong understanding of light design, light direction and how to render different times of day.
- Ability to follow directions and complete tasks independently while working within the framework of a team.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.