Animation TD (Unannounced Project)
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Animation TDs work with the Animation Supervisors and Department Heads to provide creative and technical support to aid and improve the overall efficiency of the Animation/Character production. Which can include implementation, and management of tools that assist the Animators with their daily use of both third party and in-house software and systems. As well as techniques, and procedures to aid the execution of current projects and advance the capabilities of the facility, and support Animators in tracking down technical problems with rigs, models, tools or data flow. The role requires strong technical and excellent communication skills, as well as a firm understanding of software design, graphics, and animation production workflow.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- High emphasis on translation of Animator feature requests and workflow discussions into practical designs and tool implementation that integrate with the production pipeline
- Continually looking for ways to optimize the efficiency/workflow for Animation
- Work with department representatives to augment their work flows and tool sets to achieve specific goals of the project
- Interface with departments both up and downstream, to facilitate the smooth flow of assets through the pipeline
- Work closely with Rigging to test, review, and provide technical feedback animation rigs and readiness for animation production
- Work with artists to troubleshoot and fix problems. Ensure animation tools and workflows follows studio policies and guidelines
- Work closely with other Technical Directors to maintain and further the entire production pipeline
- Craft and update documentation for tools, techniques and work flows generated by the Technical Director
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- 3+ years experience as a Technical Director with a focus on Animation or Rigging pipelines
- Expert knowledge of Maya required
- Proficiency in Python APIs and Mel scripting language
- Must have written and supported animation and/or rigging tools used significantly in production
- Experience with tool integration into existing or new pipelines
- Experience in animation, and animation workflow
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently or within a group, and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills in dealing with both technical and artistic groups
- Highly motivated, solid work ethic, solutions-oriented, and positive attitude. Ability to work well under pressure. Self-motivated and proactive. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to complete work with minimal supervision.
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Actively improves skill set to remain at the cutting edge of industry trends. Ability to quickly assimilate new information and explore new applications.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.