Mainframe Studios has an opportunity for a Modeling Artist to join the team on an upcoming production! Under the guidance of the Director and/or Modeling Supervisor, on a CG animated film, the Modeling Artist builds digital assets including: characters, sets, props, vehicles and organic elements with the goal of creating 3D models that support a project’s story based on its defined style.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Translates 2D designs into 3D objects.
- Based on assigned area of expertise, constructs character models, vehicles, props and/or environmental models in alignment with the determined creative style and direction of a project.
- Collaborates with designers, riggers, surfacing artist, animators and technical directors in order to facilitate optimal shot production while adhering to the schedule and quota fulfillment.
- Collaborates with rigging team to set up articulation points for animation.
- Collaborates with surfacing artists to ensure models match aesthetic and creative requirements of the projects overall look.
- Collaborates with animation team to ensure models are structured in such a way to achieve intended performance requirements.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from Director(s) and/or supervisors in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Ability to work with polygonal, NURBS and subdivision topologies to create surface models ranging from highly stylized cartoon characters to photorealistic fantasy creatures.
- Working knowledge of human and animal anatomy, physical motion, weight, balance and form.
- Experience in 3D animation and rigging preferred.
- Proficiency in using Maya, Mudbox and ZBrush is required.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and pro-active. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate ideas clearly.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.