At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (And your mad skills!)
We are seeking a Payroll Manager to join our team! The Payroll Manager is responsible for ensuring the timely preparation and accurate facilitation of all aspects of the semi-monthly payroll processing. The Payroll Manager is also responsible for ensuring the integrity of the payroll system, all CRA & Labour Standards compliance and that all internal controls are monitored and maintained.
Responsibilities and Duties
- With the support of the Payroll Administrator ensures the semi-monthly payrolls are generated accurately, completely and on time each pay period.
- Prepares semi-monthly payroll reconciliation and journal entry for import to the financial accounting system.
- Supervises the maintenance of the vacation, sick and unpaid days balances and accruals for all employees.
- Updates and tracks internal vacation tracker and ensures vacation balances in Ceridian Dayforce is reconciled.
- Ensures that all internal approval processes are followed for the processing of all payroll employee action forms and new hire packages received from the Human Resources Department.
- Quarterly processing of Board of Directors Payments
- Ensures proper source deductions and taxable benefits are recorded to the payroll.
- Prepares Receiver General and EHT remittances.
- Supervises the weekly timesheet reconciliation process for accuracy and completeness of vacation accruals, sick days balances and unpaid days taken.
- Remains current with Employment Standards legislative changes (for both BC and Ontario).
- Preparation of ROE Web records of employment.
- Calculates, prepares and remits quarterly and annual WCB returns.
- Prepares and submits monthly STATS Canada payroll surveys as required.
- Performs the year end payroll procedures including the production of T slips and the T4 summary for employees as well as resident and non-resident Board of Directors.
- Prepares and assists in the required analyses for external auditors.
- Recommends and assists in developing improvements to payroll policies and procedures.
- Provides supervision, support and guidance to the Payroll Administrators.
- Liaises with Operations and Human Resources for various payroll and employee issues.
- Responds to employee inquires.
- Ensures compliance with Employment Standards.
- Additional duties and projects as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- CPA Payroll Manager Certification or equivalent work experience in a Payroll Manager role.
- Minimum 3 years current experience in full cycle Canadian payrolls in a complex high turn over environment, with a minimum of 1-year experience in supervising or managing payroll support team members.
- Experienced in processing foreign workers and relocation allowances.
- Previous experience in a Production payroll environment is an asset.
- Previous experience in a public company with the processing of resident and non-resident Directors Fees is an asset.
- Experience with Ceridian DayForce payroll system is an asset.
- USA payroll experience is an asset.
- Province of Ontario payroll experience and current knowledge of Ontario Employment Standards is an asset.
- Strong verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills. Practices attentive listening and is not afraid to ask questions.
- Detail oriented and dependable with strong problem-solving skills and ownership of duties.
- Strong Excel skills (intermediate user or higher).
- Develops new initiatives and workflows to improve processes.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Collaborates with HR and Management to effectively handle personnel issues.
- Ability to motivate payroll team members to maintain the highest standards of accuracy and efficiency within fixed deadlines while simultaneously supervising multiple projects.
- Provides regular constructive performance feedback to the Payroll Administrators.
- Brings a solid work ethic and positive attitude.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.