Modeling Artist - Unannounced Project
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Director and/or Modeling Supervisor, on a CG animated film, the Modeling Artist builds digital assets including: characters, sets, props, vehicles and organic elements with the goal of creating 3D models that support a project’s story based on its defined style.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Translates 2D designs into 3D objects.
- Based on assigned area of expertise, constructs character models, vehicles, props and/or environmental models in alignment with the determined creative style and direction of a project.
- Collaborates with designers, riggers, surfacing artist, animators and technical directors in order to facilitate optimal shot production while adhering to the schedule and quota fulfillment.
- Collaborates with rigging team to set up articulation points for animation.
- Collaborates with surfacing artists to ensure models match aesthetic and creative requirements of the projects overall look.
- Collaborates with animation team to ensure models are structured in such a way to achieve intended performance requirements.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from Director(s) and/or supervisors in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Ability to work with polygonal, NURBS and subdivision topologies to create surface models ranging from highly stylized cartoon characters to photorealistic fantasy creatures.
- Working knowledge of human and animal anatomy, physical motion, weight, balance and form.
- Experience in 3D animation and rigging preferred.
- Proficiency in using Maya, Mudbox and ZBrush is required.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and pro-active. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate ideas clearly.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.