Compositing Artist - 2D
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Comp/FX Supervisor, the 2D Compositing Artist designs all non-character related animation and/or applies FX animation per the shot’s requirements.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Touch up the animated scenes applying lighting/shading, tone or color adjustments as required
- Level and composite characters into finished backgrounds
- Construct the final image by combining layers of previously-created material, including computer animation, effects and backgrounds.
- Creatively combine all the elements into the final image, ensuring that the established style of the project is respected and continuity is maintained
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the area of compositing.
- Delivers work based on the project’s schedules.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Has a strong understanding of the needs of the show and the pipeline to allow the 2D Compositing Artist to proactively anticipate issues and suggest solutions.
- Strong experience in ToonBoom Harmony and it’s compositing tools
- Very strong sense of composition, colour, perspective and motion
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Proactively communicates production issues to the supervisor. Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others. Incorporates feedback and direction received from Director/Supervisor.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self motivated and proactive. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set design objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.