3D Set & Keyshot Lighter - BC
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Lighting Supervisor and/or Lead, on a CG animated film, the Set Lighter is tasked with creating and maintaining light rigs and templates for Katana and Nuke. These artists will work with the surfacing and modeling departments to resolve any creative or technical issues that may arise during the approval process and beyond. Templates will be created to match concept art and will establish the base look of an environment that will then be used by the shot lighting teams.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Lighting Supervisor and/or Leads, the Set Lighter creates environment and character light rigs and templates in Katana and Nuke.
- Interprets colour scripts and concept art, working with Art Director to achieve the look for the show.
- Assists in keyshot lighting.
- Adjusts templates and light rigs to incorporate feedback or address issues experienced by the lighting team.
- Updates templates as necessary with any upgrades/tools from pipeline.
- Supports the teams utilizing the created templates and helps troubleshoot any issues encountered.
- Creates documentation and instructions for template use.
- Sends out update emails to the lighting team about the relevant changes to light rigs and templates.
- Works within the established Mainframe lighting and rendering pipeline.
- Is capable of troubleshooting common rendering and lighting technical issues.
- Strives to incorporate the most efficient workflows with regards to ease of use as well as render time.
- Utilizes production knowledge and previous shotlighting experience to anticipate the needs of the lighting artists when making templates.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Supervisor or Lead in a timely and quantitatively acceptable way.
- Collaborates with the Surfacing Team in achieving the desired look within the established production design complexity and resource limitations.
- Collaborates with FX Artists to test efficacy of FX assets that are part of sets.
- Collaborates with CG Supervisors to foresee and resolve set-related or key-shot related issues that arise.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe Studios: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
- 3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Ability to hone in on crafting a variety of lighting styles as necessitated by shot/sequences in a given project. Experience in photography is an asset.
- Strong understanding of principles of lighting (such as choice of light, placement of the light source, its direction and how to create the desired effect such as contrast and shadows).
- Ability to apply knowledge of digital 3D animation, special effects and lighting. A demonstrated understanding of compositing principles and compositing software such as Nuke.
- Knowledge of Katana and rendering software such as Redshift and/or Arnold. Ability to script is an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting, shading and compositing.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self motivated and proactive. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on the issue at hand.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver lighting assignments per agreed upon specs and schedule.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.