3D Lighting Artist - BC
Company Name: Mainframe Studios | A Division of WOW! Unlimited Media
Job Title: Lighting Artist
Wage Range: $20.00 - $38.50 / hourly
Location of Work: Vancouver, BC
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We are looking for Lighting Artists on a current production! Under the guidance of the Lighting Supervisor and/or Leads, on a CG animated film, the Lighting Artist is tasked with lighting shots from start to finish as they evolve from preliminary lighting through final renders.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Lighting Supervisor and/or Leads, the Lighting Artist lights shots/sequences based on the rigs created by the Principal, Lead or Supervisor.
- Ability to work within the lighting and rendering pipeline and capable of troubleshooting common rendering and lighting technical issues.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback form the Supervisor or Lead in a timely and quantitatively acceptable way.
- Collaborates with Surfacing Team in achieving the desired look and establishing the production design complexity and lighting behavioural consistency as it pertains to characters, props and environments.
- Collaborates with Effects Artists to test efficacy of the special effects, modifying lighting as necessary.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their preferred.
- Ability to hone in on crafting a variety of lighting styles as necessitated by shot/sequences in a given project. Experience in photography is an asset.
- Strong understanding of principles of lighting (such as choice of light, placement of the light source, its direction and how to create the desired effect such as contrast and shadows). Knowledge of compositing a plus.
- Ability to apply knowledge of digital 3D animation, special effects and lighting. A demonstrated understanding of compositing principles and compositing software such as Nuke.
- Knowledge of Maya and rendering software such as Renderman, Redshift and/or Mentalray. Ability to script is an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting, shading and compositing.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self motivated and pro-active. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver lighting assignments per agreed upon specs and schedule.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.