3D Previs Lead - ON (GENERAL)
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (And your mad skills!)
On a CG animated project the Previs Lead is responsible for leading the team to set up all camera moves to ensure that focal length, camera paths, speed and ease-ins and ease-outs are prepared ahead of the animation pass.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Works in close partnership with the Layout Supervisor and the Modeling and World Building department to make sure the final vision of the Director and Art Director(s) is realised within the constraints of the production.
- At any time, collaborates closely and maintains close communication with Layout Supervisor and Animation Director.
- Works closely with the Render, Lighting and Compositing team to ensure that the camera moves will meet all aesthetic (blur, lens warp) and technical (set heaviness regarding set dress and foliage, grass etc., render parameters).
- Works out a camera style guide for the project that identifies tools and processes to harmonize the look and feel of camera use across the project. In conjunction with Layout Supervisors/Animation Directors/Camera Layout Supervisor, identifies a suitable set of lenses for the project.
- Creates/initiates all camera-related tools to be used across the teams, along with documentation.
- Works closely with the rigging and pipeline teams to ensure our camera rig meets all the highest expectations and integrates well within the Mainframe pipeline ecosystem.
- Reviews locked Animatic and identifies priority lists of moving camera shots, assigning them to himself and designated camera layout team members, as well as prepares shots for regular layout team where feasible.
- Works with the designated group of camera layout team members and takes ownership of the most complex shots of each segment, leading by example and setting standards.
- Ensures the camera layout team follows all internal pipeline protocols for scene setup and integration.
- Checks and references elements to make sure proper versions are used.
- Continues to provide mentorship and assistance as cameras are used and adjusted in animation.
- Continues to take on the most complex camera moves while adjustments are needed as a result of changes during animation process (timing/framing/focal length/path adjustments).
- In partnership with Layout Supervisor, oversees shot content accuracy in relation to timing and continuity.
- Ability to prioritize artwork deliverables with the goal to facilitate optimal workflow in the production pipeline as it pertains to animation production.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from the Director, Art Director(s) and Layout Supervisor in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Responsible for leading the team in creatively plusing the material when applicable and achieving the set standards of complexity.
- Collaborates with Animation Director and Animation Supervisor to ensure all elements are included and set-up as required.
- Supervises completion of all shot set up assignments per production schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
- 6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Extensive knowledge of camera composition and good sense of aesthetics.
- Advanced level proficiency in using Maya is required.
- Ability to liaise with production staff and artists and clearly communicate production process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best. Ability to predict potential problems and trouble shoot as necessary. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives.
- Proven abilities to oversee Shot Set Up Dept., and ensure work quality and consistency.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solution-minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and delegate.
- Outstanding problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Responsible for managing the Shot Set Up Dept. and meeting quota expectation per project's requirements.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.