3D Lighting Lead - ON
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We are looking for a Lead Lighting Artist to join us on an exciting new series! Under the guidance of the Director and Lighting Supervisor, on a CG animated film, the Lead Lighting Artist needs to know how to utilize lighting principals and techniques to realize an image based on a reference such as an image or photograph.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Following the Director, Art Director/Production Designer and/or Visual Effects Supervisor’s guidance, the Lighting Lead plays a critical role in establishing the look of the project and its expected lighting requirements.
- Supports the creation of the project's look and lighting style/technique.
- Evaluates the lighting of characters to make sure they work well and then sets the lighting which establishes the lighting that will be used as a guideline for the rest of the other artists (such as Surfacing).
- Works closely with other departments in order to ensure the consistency of character and environment lighting set ups and shot complexity requirements as per storytelling needs.
- Assists the Department Supervisor with artist evaluation and casting.
- Ability to work within the lighting and rendering pipeline and capable of troubleshooting common rendering and lighting technical issues.
- Crafts innovative lighting designs. He/she supports the Supervisor in ensuring that the rigs can function efficiently and the established look and complexity are successfully met within the confines of the project's timeline and fiscal parameters.
- Provides input for artist's performance review to the Department Supervisor.
- Able to prioritize lighting setups and implementation pending production requirements.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the team to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Partners with the production team in tracking and ensuring the on-time completion of shot assignments.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Director, Art Director/Production Designer,
- Visual Effects Supervisor, CG Supervisor and Dept. Supervisor in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Collaborates with Surfacing Team in achieving the desired look and establishing the production design complexity and behavioural consistency as it pertains to characters, props and environments.
- Collaborates with Effects Artists to test efficacy of the special effects, modifying lighting as necessary.
- Delivers assignments per project's schedule.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
- 5+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
Senior or Lead experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Katana and rendering software such as Redshift and/or Arnold. Ability to script is an asset.
- Extensive experience in exploring and delivering lighting styles/techniques per project's production design requirements. Experience in photography is an asset.
- Expert understanding of principles of lighting (such as choice of light, placement of the light source, its direction and how to create the desired effect such as contrast and shadows). In-depth knowledge of compositing a plus.
- Ability to apply advanced knowledge of digital 3D animation, special effects and lighting. In-depth knowledge of compositing principles and compositing software such as Nuke.
- Expert knowledge of Maya and rendering software such as Renderman and/or Mentalray. Ability to script is an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting, shading and compositing.
- Evaluates and recommends relevant software programs.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Ability to inspire team by example; provide constructive feedback and draws out excellence. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
Proven abilities to manage design team to create artwork from conceptual phase through final artwork deliverables.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to prioritize duties in order to complete both personal assignments and oversee team output requirements.
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver assignments on time and meet or exceed lighting objectives within the production budget and scheduled parameters.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.